Sunday, August 21, 2005

The "Accidental Admin" - Birth of an Admin

Something that I need to preface this with before I go on, is that most Bolts are thrifty by nature. The men seem more so than the women, but hey, I still have dial-up so what does that tell you? Either way, thriftiness is a Bolt genetic trait, no doubt about it.

I called Family Tree DNA, I think it was on October 23, to inquire about additional testing on the Bolts. I spoke with Mark, (he left the company awhile back), and he says, "Why don't you set up a surname project?"

"What's that?"

"Well, what we would do is to move all of the current kits into a surname project, and that way, it's easier to compare results and you also receive a group discount, and..."

"Did you say discount? Let's do it!

Did I know what I was agreeing to? Heck no! I heard the word "discount" and as Renee says in "Jerry Maguire" "You had me at ______" (Well, she says 'hello'; for me, it's 'discount')

This is how I became a DNA Project Admin, and why I consider it to be an "accident". I didn't plan to become a surname project administrator, no forethought or planning was given to the notion beforehand whatsoever.

So up to this point, my entire DNA testing knowledge base came from a DAR meeting where I was completely clueless, and a few hours on the internet. (I hope there's a whole bunch of Newbies out there feeling a whole lot better about now...)

On the additional panels, the Physicist cousin still did not match, my dad or the others, and the Abraham cousin who didn't match at first, later did. We have a theory as to why the Physicist doesn't match, we think that Robert Bolt Sr. took in his 2nd wife's son and he assumed the Bolt surname. An indicator is a deed that Robert left where he referred to his "wife and HER son..." Not MY son, not OUR son.

He's not the only non-match that we've had either. The next one to come in was for a descendant of Benjamin Bolt.

(Coming next: - Treasure and Carpe Diem

No comments: